Accidently Ate Animal Product (Dairy, Meat) As a Vegan: What Now?


Sometimes you’ll be assured that a food is vegan and it turns out that it’s not.

Other times you may buy something and somehow missed a non-vegan ingredient.

And other times, you may learn about some obscure ingredient that apparently isn’t vegan.

Almost every vegan has accidentally eaten an animal product at some point.

Don’t Beat Yourself Up About It

This is an imperfect world that we live in, and being vegan doesn’t mean that you have to be perfect.

If you’re upset about what happened, that’s fine.

Learn from the mistake you made and try not to make it again, that’s all you can do.

But once you’ve learned that lesson, intentionally feeling bad to make yourself suffer for some sense of justice makes no sense – the damage is already done.

It’s not a purity contest, and you won’t lose some imaginary vegan license because you made a mistake.

You May Get Sick

If you’ve been vegan for a while, your gut doesn’t have much in the way of bacteria that can break down animal products any more.

That means that if you ate enough of an animal product, you might feel physically sick.

It’s not uncommon to get a headache or feel nauseous, or even vomit in some cases.

It should pass fairly quickly, but if it lasts for more than a day, you should consider seeing a doctor.

Ultimately, remember that failure is necessary for people to improve. This failure will help make you a better person in the long run.

About the author

Dale Cudmore

Your friendly neighborhood vegan from Toronto. Chemical engineer turned semi-professional soccer player and freelance nutrition writer. I've been vegan for years and try to make life easier for others by sharing what I've learned.

Add comment