On my quest to find the best vegan multivitamin, it became clear that I should make a separate page just for women.
While women need most of the same vitamins, there are some important differences to consider.
The 3 supplements that are recommended below are the best vegan multivitamins for women that I’ve reviewed. If I ever find a better one, I’ll add it to this page to keep it updated.
What Vegan Women Need in a Vegan Multivitamin
Research has found that vegans are more likely to be lacking or deficient in:
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- Omega 3 Fats
Men and women need roughly the same amount of all of those except iron.
Women need way more iron.
Adult women need about 18mg of iron per day, and even more if pregnant.
Ideally, a multivitamin for women should have more iron.
The Top 3 Multivitamins for Vegan Women
Unfortunately, most multivitamins don’t have iron in them, or very little.
One option is to get a separate vegan iron supplement if that’s your main concern. You can get your hemoglobin levels checked (indicative of iron levels) by your doctor, or when you go donate blood.
Otherwise, here are your best options in terms of multivitamins:
|Type||Vit. B12 (% DV)||Vit. D (% DV)||Iron (mg)||Price per serving|
|Garden of Life (Pill)||Pill||200||250||9||$$$|
|Future Kind||Vegan Softgel||16667||250||0||$$|
Let’s look at each of them in a bit more detail.
1. Deva Vegan Vitamins Daily Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement
This is my #1 recommendation by a fairly wide margin:
- It’s a well known manufacturer
- There’s 18 mg of iron in a pill (perfect for a woman)
- 100% of your DV for vitamin B12 and vitamin D
- The price is about as cheap as you can get
The only downsides are that the vitamin is in the D2 form, instead of the D3 form (D3 is more easily absorbed), and there are no omega 3 fats.
It also has every other vitamin in it. Vegans typically don’t need these, but they usually don’t hurt as long as you don’t get too much of them.
2. Garden of Life Multivitamin for Women
Garden of Life sells a general multivitamin, but they also sell this one, which is specifically for women and has more iron than their other supplements.
There are a few things I like about this multi:
- Good amount of vitamin B12 and vitamin D3
- 50% of the DV for iron (a good option if you’re already getting quite a bit from your diet)
- Certified organic (often a good indicator of quality ingredients)
But there are some downsides as well:
- The price per serving is relatively high
- Just like Deva’s, there are a lot of unnecessary vitamins for vegans
- No omega 3s
It’s a good choice if budget isn’t a big deal and you’re just looking for an all around vitamin to shore up anything you’re missing in your diet.
3. Future Kind Essential Multivitamin for Vegans
This product would be my #1 if it had iron in it.
Unfortunately it doesn’t.
There are many good selling points of Future Kind’s multivitamin:
- Made specifically for vegans (no unnecessary vitamins)
- Just has vitamin B12, D3, and omega 3 fats (one of the very few multis that do)
- Reputable company that only makes vegan products
If you’ve had your iron levels checked and they’re already good, this is a great choice. Otherwise, stick with one of the 2 above.