Where to buy: Amazon
In order to find the best vegan protein bar, I’ve bought and tested over 20 bars so far.
When I review vegan protein bars, I grade them in 3 ways:
- Protein content
This short review will break down if it’s worth buying Sol Good bars or not for you.
Table of Contents
Sunwarrior is one of the largest vegan supplement companies. It was founded way back in 2007 by Denley Fowlke.
They now sell a wide variety of vegan products, from protein bars to vitamin supplements.
I’ve even reviewed Sunwarrior’s vegan protein powder in the past.
Protein Content and Calories of a Sol Good Bar
While it varies a little based on flavor, each bar has roughly:
- 230 calories
- 17 grams of protein
- 26 grams of carbohydrates (although 17 are fiber)
- 3 grams of sugar
That means just about 30% of calories come from protein.
That’s a decent percentage, not bad, but not amazing. The best bars have about 40% protein.
One thing that might matter to you is that these bars are certified organic.
Here’s the full ingredient list of the caramel flavor (the rest are similar):
- Sunsweet (organic prebiotic fiber, organic tapioca syrup, organic stevia extract), sunwarrior protein blend, organic sunflower butter, organic glaze, organic rice dextrin, organic grape juice, organic caramel flavor, organic cacao butter, organic vegetable glycerin, organic coconut oil, ancient sea salt, vitamin E mixed
Even though it’s organic, there’s still quite a bit of sugar in it, so it’s not particularly healthy.
The protein mainly comes from the “Sunwarrior Protein Blend”, which is a mix of brown rice, pea, and quinoa protein. It’s good to have a blend to make a more balanced amino acid profile.
Do Sunwarrior Sol Good Bars Taste Good?
I bought a few flavors of these bars and put them to the test.
Obviously my taste may differ from yours, but you can get an idea of what to expect.
Cracking it open lets us get a better look at the texture:
It’s a consistent doughy texture throughout the whole bar.
The main things I noticed when I ate them were:
- There was a good amount of chewiness.
- It’s fairly chalky (not terribly so, but you really feel after a few bites) and a bit dry.
- The flavor is fairly good, but there’s something a bit off.
I thought the cinnamon flavor was much better than the salted caramel.
For each bar, I rate the taste out of 10.
I gave the cinnamon a 7, which is a bit better than average for vegan protein bars.
But the salted caramel would only be a 5 or 6. It’s pretty easy to eat, but not particularly enjoyable (for me at least).
How Expensive Are Sol Good Bars?
If you buy them at their regular price, you’ll pay about $2.5 per bar (if you buy them in a box of 12.
Based on a simple formula I use to compare the cost per 10 grams of protein against each other, that works out to a rating of 8/10 (where higher is better).
That’s actually a bit better than average if you compare it to other vegan protein bars (they’re quite expensive in general).
How Do Sunwarrior Sol Good Bars Compare Against Alternatives?
If you add up the scores out of 10 for the 3 categories, you get an overall score of 22/30.
That’s a decent score, a bit above average, but there are a fair number of vegan protein bars that I think are better.
It’s an all around decent bar, but doesn’t stand out in any particular category, other than being one of the few organic vegan protein bars. If that’s important to you, then Sol Good bars are a solid choice.
If you get a good deal on them, or it’s the only one you can easily get, it’s not a bad option. The bars are easily edible, just don’t expect them to taste like candy.
Alternatives to Sol Good Bars
Here are a few vegan protein bars that score better than Sol Good Bars in at least one of the main categories I look at:
- No Cow Bars – These bars have a similar chewy texture, but taste better overall in my opinion. They also have a much higher protein content and are more affordable. You can find a full breakdown in my No Cow vegan protein bar review.
- Simply Bars – These are my personal favorites. They taste better than Sunwarrior’s bar, and are also cheaper with a higher protein content. See my full Simply Bar review for more details.
- Square Organics – These are a comparable organic vegan protein bar. It has a lower protein content than Sunwarrior’s bars, but tastes amazing and is more affordable. Depending on your priorities, it could be the right choice. Here’s my Square Organics vegan protein bar review.