Where to buy: Amazon
When I tested vegan protein powders, Orgain was one of the powders I tried.
I saw they also made a protein bar, and of course I wanted to test it.
At this point, I’ve bought 20+ bars in order to test as many bars as possible to find the best vegan protein bar.
All bars are tested for protein content, taste, and cost.
Table of Contents
Orgain Bar Protein Content
The most important thing to most people looking for a protein bar is protein content: not just the amount of protein, but what percent of calories come from protein.
Even if a bar has 20 grams of protein, if it has 30 grams of sugar, that’s not great.
So for each bar, I calculate a score out of 10 based on the percent of calories from protein.
In each Orgain bar, there is:
- 140 calories
- 10 grams protein
- 17 grams carbohydrates (3g sugar, 6g fiber)
It’s very low in sugar compared to most bars, which is because it’s sweetened with erythritol.
The protein is a blend of pea and brown rice protein, which is pretty common.
Divide the 40 calories from protein by 140 calories overall, and we get a protein content of 28.6%.
This is about average when you look at most protein bars, and it works out to a score of 7 out of 10.
While it’s not factored into my scoring process, I like to take a look at the ingredients.
Orgain organic protein blend, organic isomalto-oligosaccharide, organic tapioca syrup, organic almond butter, organic chocolate chips, organic ertyhritol, organic cocoa, organic vegetable glycerin, organic flavor, sea sale, organic sunflower lecithin
There are a few things that stand out to me:
- It has a blend of plant protein sources (brown rice, pea)
- It’s USDA certified organic, kosher, soy-free, and non-gmo
- This bar does contain nuts (almonds), so see my page of vegan protein bars without nuts if you’re allergic.
Taste Testing Orgain’s Protein Bar
The next most important factor is how good does the bar taste?
Obviously you have your own preferences, but I’ll try to give you a general idea of what to expect.
First, let’s look at the bar’s appearance:
It’s rather small (compared to the wrapper), and very compact and glossy.
When you split it open, it looks like this:
Those are little chunks of peanuts in case you couldn’t tell (I tested the “peanut butter” flavor).
Here were my main thoughts from the taste test:
- Little on the chewy side.
- Doughy with a small amount of crunchiness.
- Flavor is a bit weak, but good sweetness.
- Fairly chalky and bit of an aftertaste.
It certainly isn’t bad, but it’s not as good as a handful of others I’ve tested.
I ended up giving it a score of 7/10 for taste.
There are a few other flavors you could try, they may taste better or worse than the one I tested:
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk
Cost of Orgain Protein Bars vs Other Vegan Protein Bars
Finally, cost is a big factor in choosing a protein bar for most people.
Instead of just looking at the price per bar, I look at the price per 10 grams of protein in order to calculate a score.
In this case, Orgain’s bar has 10 grams of protein, so it’s the same cost.
Orgain’s bars are as cheap as you’ll find per bar. If you buy a typical box it works out to about $1.5 per bar.
This is so cheap that even though there’s only 10 grams of protein per bar, it still gets a cost score of 8/10.
Review Summary: How Good is Orgain’s Protein Bar?
Add those 3 scores up and Orgain’s organic protein bar gets a score of 22/30 overall.
This is right around average, and the bar sits roughly in the middle of all the bars when you look at my rankings of the best vegan protein bars.
If you’re looking for a casual bar and don’t care about getting the most protein, this is a great bar due to its low cost and decent taste.
Otherwise, I think there are better bars out there based on my testing.
Alternatives to Orgain’s Protein Bar
Here are some of the bars that I rate higher:
- Sunwarrior Sol Good Protein Bar – If you really want an organic bar, I personally think Sunwarrior’s is a bit better, although it’s close. See my Sunwarrior vegan protein bar review for more details.
- Simply Bar – It’s not organic, but it’s one of the healthiest bars I’ve tried, and also my #1 overall bar. It tastes good, is affordable, and has a great protein content. Here’s my Simply Bar vegan protein bar review with my full thoughts.
- Clif Builder’s Bar – If you’d rather a protein bar that really tastes good and aren’t as concerned about it being healthy, Clif’s bar is a good option. It tastes like a candy bar and is relatively really cheap, it just has a lot of sugar. You can find more details in my Clif Builder’s Protein Bar review.
If you can’t find a good organic option and that’s important to you, you can always consider making your own. See my collection of vegan protein bar recipes to see what’s involved.